Sunday, October 12, 2008

Things I dislike about Orlando

Please don't get me wrong. I am delighted to be at my employer's conference, to have the chance to see customers and colleagues. I just wish it didn't have to be in Orlando, one of my least favorite places to travel to.

Here are the things I don't like about Orlando. What can you add?

  1. Large furry animals frolicking around at breakfast. Scary before coffee.

  2. "Have a magical day"

  3. Seeing so many people desperate to have a good time after spending money they don't have, and not enjoying it.

  4. That sticky feeling you get when walking outside for more than 30 seconds.

  5. Forgot an important toiletry item (see previous point). No real drug store accessible to get more at reasonable prices.

  6. The $40 taxi ride to anywhere that does not look like the resort I am in.

  7. The 90 minute shuttle from the airport because I am too cheap to spend my employer's money on a taxi.

  8. Hotel windows that don't open.

  9. Air conditioning set too high.

  10. 20% service fees added for my "convenience."

  11. The not quite natural look of the nature.

  12. I'm sorry. Dolphins do not have scales

  13. Food that is good enough to eat too much of, but not good enough to be worth eating a lot of.

  14. I have to go back in January, June and October.

  15. Toll booths every 5 miles.

Notice that I didn't say that I hate Orlando. There are much worse places in the world to visit, so I didn't title this "Things I hate." Hate is a pretty strong emotion I try to stay away from. As much as I dislike it, I don't hate Orlando, I promise. Actually, reading over this again this is mostly about why I dislike Disney World hotels. But they are in Orlando.


1 comment:

Jonathan L. Yarmis said...

14. Air conditioning that only works when you have the deadbolt set so that (a) when you come back to your room, it's stinking hot or (b) if you're going to sleep before your roommate comes back to the room, you have to leave the deadbolt unlocked.

15. Flights to/from Orlando where passengers have never seemingly heard of security checks, checked bag restrictions, liquids restrictions, and of course, "boarding for those families with small children"...which is 2/3 of the plane. (The good news, however: upgrades are generally available, even to lower-tier frequent flyer participants.)